Applicants should have at least one year of Yoga experience before applying for the teacher training program. Exceptions may be made for students who can demonstrate a deep commitment to learning, or have an established movement or spiritual practice that is compatible with yoga philosophy and practice.
All students must complete the Tula Institute of Yoga YTT application (available here online, at the studio, or will mailed upon request). Upon acceptance into the program students must pay a $300 non-refundable deposit to hold their space in the program. Space will be limited to 12 students to assure individual attention and support for all students. Tula requires a minimum enrollment of six students to conduct this training. Note: If Tula Institute cancels this training then you will receive a full refund of your deposit.
To receive your certificate of completion and be eligible for Yoga Alliance Registry, you must complete 180 contact hours including 10 practicum hours, as well as all OMwork assignments, and an open book test at the end of the training. Missed contact hours must be made up with a Tula Institute instructor at $50 an hour. (Under some circumstances there may be other options for make-up time depending on the hours missed.) Students not wishing to go on to teach can opt out of practicum hours and test, but will not be eligible to register with the Yoga Alliance.
Required equipment and books:
Students should have their own Yoga mat for a regular practice (Jade Yoga mats will be available for purchase at a 25% discount).
The following books are required. (Estimated total $43 – $164 based on prices found on Amazon.)
The Yamas and Niyamas – Deborah Adele – $10.07
One of the following asana texts:
- Hatha Yoga Illustrated – Martin Kirk, Brooke Boon – $13.46
- 30 Essential Yoga Poses: For Beginning students and their teachers – Judith Lasater – $19.87
- Yoga Teachers tool box – Integrative Yoga Therapy – $59.95
One of the following Anatomy texts:
- Yoga Anatomy – Leslie Kaminoff – $13.19
- Functional anatomy of Yoga – A guide for practitioners and teachers – $22.94
- Yogabody: Anatomy, Kinesiology, and Asana – Judith Lasater – $23.94
One of the following Yoga texts: (You may want to wait to purchase until yogic text assignments given at our first meeting.)
- Yoga Sutras of Patanjali – Variety of translations and commentaries available – $6- $25
- Hatha Yoga Pradapika – Variety of translations and commentaries available – $6 – $42
- Bhagavad Gita – Variety of translations and commentaries available – $6 – $20
- The Upanishads – Variety of translations and commentaries available – $6 – $70
Other recommended books (Not required):
- Light on Yoga – BKS Iyengar – $12.81
- Siddhartha – Hermann Hesse – $2 – $23
- Buddha’s Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love, and Wisdom – Rick Hanson – $12.57
Click on the item below for more information on the 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training: